Saturday, June 14, 2014

Writing Lab: Kurt Vonnegut’s eight essentials for a good short story.

 I fell in love with the writing of Kurt Vonnegut in High School. I was introduced to him by my assistant football coach and science teacher's wife Mrs. Dalyrimple. She and Mr. Dalyrimple took me under their wings mentoring me through a rough patch in high school. (One day I hope to write about that experience because it change my life.) She saw my fascination with modern science fiction. I think I told her I wanted to be a writer like Rod Serling of  Twilight Zone fame. I loved anthology's and short stories. She gave me her copy of Cat's Cradle and I never looked back. That was in 1971. Thank you Mrs. Dalyrimple.

 Now as I get ready to write a short story for Camp NanoWriMo in July, I began as I always do, seeking out research that could help me with short story writing. Though I had read Kurt Vonnegut's ideas for writing short stories years ago, I could not honestly tell you I remember them very well. Then, thanks to friends, I came across his words again on Rabelle's Society Blog. I want to thank Rabelle's Society for posting  Andrea Balt's article on Kurt Vonnegut's Eight Essential's for a good short story. I hope you will enjoy it and use it because I believe that is why he shared it with us.
 
Writing Lab: Kurt Vonnegut’s eight essentials for a good short story.

No comments:

Post a Comment